Saturday, 21 March 2015

Cavell Update

After a dress rehearsal before an audience of long-suffering friends, my Edith Cavell talk made its formal debut in front of 124 Norfolk Federation WI ladies at Northrepps Village Hall on 13th March 2015.


Remember, these are the women who heckled former British PM Tony Blair. This was a brand new, no-music-or-antique-knickers-included, serious talk. 

Was I scared? You bet I was.

To my great relief, reviews were extremely positive! 

As a result, I have been invited to repeat the performance for a further large WI audience in October, close to the 100-year anniversary of Edith's death.

I'll also be presenting live interpretation as Edith herself as part of the Swardeston Centenary Festival, and performing my talk several times at The Forum in Norwich during October this year- more details will be published nearer to the time.


There are currently no photos of me in my Edith costume, but I am told I look simply angelic in it...(!)


The WI is also celebrating it's centenary year with a special exhibition at my other place of work, Gressenhall Farm & Workhouse. Click on this link for further information.

While I'm on the subject of Gressenhall, there is more news. For the next two and a half years I will be working as the Learning and Engagement Officer there for the big redevelopment project, 'Voices From The Workhouse' (BONUS: if you click on the link to the website, you will see me looking outstandingly glamorous as a workhouse inmate in the photos).


It is worth mentioning that during the past year I have received many excellent audience suggestions* for new talks in addition to my current characters of Queens Bess and Vicky, Marie Lloyd, Edith Cavell and The Seven Ages of Woman.


However, because of my new responsibilities within Norfolk Museums, I will be sticking with my current talks for the foreseeable future.  


I am fully booked now for talks and musical evenings until the end of 2015. Luckily the diary is already open - and rapidly filling- for 2016. Book now (contact details here) to avoid disappointment!!


* Not those sorts of suggestions...

No comments:

Post a Comment