Monday, 3 February 2014

How to Make an Enormous Edwardian Hat (Tutorial- Part 2)

So we are in the process of making this:
From this:

And we have got this far:
So next we need to make it look proper pretty. Here we go...

Decorating your Enormous Edwardian Hat
I decided to put a big bow around mine, just like a few of the pictures I had seen (Here's some, on my Pinterest page). As my base fabric was a bargain lining fabric (reduced to 80p per metre) I was able to spend a little more on the fancy bit, so I got some beautiful peacock blue polyester satin.
I cut a rectangle about 150cm x 50cm and folded it right sides together lengthways. I machine-stitched down the long side and one short side, turned it the right way and hand-stitched the remaining short side to make a long, sumptuous 'ribbon'. I did consider lining it to stiffen it, but this proved too heavy to wear!

I simply tied the blue ribbon around the crown of the hat with a knot, then popped a few stitches here and there to secure it in a suitably attractive position. This also hid the elastic band and any unwanted creases in the base fabric. I also added a lace bow at the front- flowers or feathers would have been just as nice!

Lining your Enormous Edwardian Hat

You'll need to cut another circle of your base fabric for lining the underside of the brim. Turn the hat upside down and pull a couple of tiny stitches through at the top centre of the crown to fix the centre of the lining to the inside centre of the hat. 

Take a deep breath.

With the hat still upside-down, staple the edges of the lining fabric to the outer edge of the brim. As the circumference of the fabric is greater than the brim, you will need to pleat it as you go- much the same as you did with the pleats on the top side of the brim. 

The technique I used for the lining part of the process was very much Trial And Error, but I found that stapling the brim at the 'north, south, east and west' positions on the brim before beginning, and pleating loosely at first to allow room for adjustment helped a lot. But it was fiddly and I did swear a little bit.

NB Make sure you let the excess 'middle' of the fabric fall into the well of the hat so you can still get your head in. 

Then I trimmed the upper and lower fabric edges back neatly to the cardboard brim's edge...

I then concealed all these rough edges with some more lace. I glued it- first all around the top side edge, then when that was dry, I flipped it around to the underside and glued it under there. For a clear, quick-drying glue, UHU is always my choice.



Then- hey, presto! It is done! I've included a shot of me wearing it so you can see the proportions, plus another angle of the finished article.

Good luck with your own hat-making. I do hope this tutorial has been helpful.

I'd love to see pictures of your own creations!

Email me! rachel@rachelduffield.co.uk 
or post them on my FB page! https://www.facebook.com/queenielives 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much ! Im doing a school project, and this post really helped me.

    xx

    ReplyDelete