Monday, 13 August 2012

Hello Dolly

These are some photos of the new prop I have been working on for my work as Queen Victoria. She started off as a typically dreadful be-satinned, be-flounced and be-frilled reproduction 'Victorian' doll, and I picked her up for a couple of quid in a junk shop.

After a bath, a divestment and -would you believe it- an eyelash trim, I stitched up the bits which were coming apart and set to work researching what a real 19th century doll would look like.
 
It turned out that the gorgeous ones I had in my mind's eye were the French 'Bebes' . The authentically English versions were a lot plainer.

The costume I eventually settled on is based upon English Goss dolls and the dolls of Queen Victoria's daughter, Princess Vicky.

I wish I'd taken a picture of her in her original baby blue satin debacle and the enormously oversized and over decorated hat she was wearing, but sadly I did not. Here instead is the finished, 'nice' version, with and without her pinafore. All hand-stitched by my own fair fingers.

She doesn't have a name yet, so all suggestions are welcomed...   

No comments:

Post a Comment