Sunday, 29 January 2012

Peep-show! And Ruin on Rouen Road.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/lifestyle/fashion/peep_show_video_queen_elizabeth_through_the_keyhole_what_the_butler_saw_1_1187188

'What the courtier saw'... click on this link to see a feature about Queen Elizabeth I as you've never seen her (me) before! Thanks to the excellent Stacia Briggs of ECN for her very creative take on NMAS publicity!

...To say nothing of the disaster which befell me in the rain as I wheeled my trolley down the slope and away from the ECN building where the photo-shoot happened: The trolley was piled high with Victorian trunk strapped on with bungees, the flight bag I use for my Queenie toiletries, and my handbag. I was assailed by an EDP receptionist shouting 'lost a wheel?'. No, I thought, my trolley is going perfectly well.

 But on checking, I had indeed lost a wheel. I put it into my bag and carried on down the reasonably steep hill that is Rouen Rd. Of course, furnished with the knowledge I was now pushing a three wheeler, the trolley instantly veered wildly out of control and into a tiny pothole.

My brain was behind with current events, causing my foot to continue walking, smashing itself into the sharp bit where the wheel was, on the now stationary trolley. The impact caused my (open) handbag to fly off the top of the heap of bags, skidding its contents in a shamelessly pink, glittery arc down the kirb. As I reached, vainly, to stem the baggage avalanche, one of the bungees, already stretched to capacity over the Victorian trunk, ping-ed off ferociously and struck me smartly on the end of my outstretched thumb.

Result?  A bedraggled woman, still displaying remnants of white face paint, attempting to swear, hop, suck her thumb, pick up a Blackberry, a diary, several pens, and a purse whilst simultaneously trying to grab the by now re-animated trolley and - remarkably, after unexpectedly catching the eye of a bewildered passer-by, also trying to style it out with a heroically nonchalant snort of laughter.

I think I just about got away with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment