Friday, 20 January 2012

Heavy Hangs the Head That Wears The Crown

The 2012 Tour of Village Hall Toilets has commenced with a local venue; the WI in my own village of Mulbarton invited me to speak for them this Monday. I went as Queen Elizabeth the First, which was a surprise for all of us, because it turns out they had booked Queen Victoria. Oops.

This was the first time I've ever brought the wrong Queen! I should have known, because Bess never came to Mulbarton when she visited Norfolk in 1578, she only came as far as Bracon Ash. At Bracon she accepted a gift of a silver cup containing £100 (an enormous sum then). How times have changed for this particular monarchy: naturally I reduced my fee by way of a sincere apology!

At any rate, the talk was very well received and I've been rebooked for Queen Victoria for next year. I guarantee I won't be bringing the wrong oufit again....

No comments:

Post a Comment