Monday, 27 June 2011

The Tale of The Lovely Day


Beautiful weather greeted me at Christchurch Mansion yesterday. In this, my second vist, Queenie was reincarnated as children's author and watercolour artist, Beatrix Potter.
I had a wonderful time reading aloud HBP's beautifully illustrated stories to groups of , thankfully, beautifully behaved children. In between storytelling sessions, I broke out the watercolours for the first time in years and did a few sketches of Peter Rabbit and Jemima Puddleduck (these proved to be the most popular stories of the day).
Having spent lots of time copying HBP's painting style - mainly unsuccessfully - as a teenager (I was a real rock 'n' roll raver, as you can tell) it was a treat to live the dream as the lady herself, sitting under a tree in a sunlit park, dabbling in watercolours and sipping iced water. Here are my efforts ...

An Edwardian Idyll! Then Martyn stumbled and sprained his ankle, and I spilt paintwater all over my work. Ho hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment