Tuesday, 17 August 2010

Boleyn. Ali.




Last week's Queenying comprised a calm day at Norwich's fine Dragon Hall, followed by two very hectic, but hugely enjoyable days at 'Check out the Tudors' week at Christchurch Mansion in Ipswich.

My visit to Christchurch was hosted by my former Norwich Castle friend, colleague and erstwhile babysitter Ali, who played Mrs Withipoll, wife of the original owner of the Mansion. Together with another very knowledgeable Ali who works there, we had enormous fun walking in the beautiful parkland surrounding the mansion and perplexing passers-by. Some of the passers-by thought I was the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland. Humph. But I suppose that's better than Queen Victoria, which is what I usually get.

With visiting children, Ali also did some Tudor dance sessions on the beautiful chequered floor of the Great Hall. I could not join in as Queens can only move diagonally(!). Mrs Withipoll and her pupils then performed admirably for the Queen -who was, incidentally, not provided with a chair wide enough to accomodate her bumroll. That's her bumROLL! I then took questions as QE1! I had some great questions, including 'How many people have you beheaded?' 'What do you think of Robert Dudley?' and 'How do you like your potatoes cooked?'!!

My Facebook acquaintances may already be aware of the good-natured *incident* involving phallic sweets, a space blanket and a King from the year 3000. I feel I need say no more on the matter, but be assured the rebel is now resting at the Tower until further notice!

This week the Queen visited two libraries, Thetford and Attleborough, to do the Dress Queen Bess talk. I had a small enthusiastic and attentive audience at Thetford, and a large enthusiastic and attentive audience at Attleborough (including two little girls who came dressed as Anne Boleyn). Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment